Mid - June 2020 Newsletter
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Phonebanks, a Fabulous Fundraiser, a new Voting Rights Organization, and more!
Black Lives Matter and so does black representation. Note that three of our six candidates this year are African American. Please commit to doing everything you can to help all of them get elected. Despite these wild times of COVID-19, the inexorable advance toward the November election marches on. Without rallies or house parties, campaigns still need to find their supporters and volunteers, and phone calls are the next best thing. That’s what they’ve asked us to help with, so that’s what we’re doing.
All phonebanks for the next month are listed at the end.
If you have a weekly or monthly time you are consistently available, consider becoming a regular. Please join! Even though all phonebanks are virtual, you have the full support and back-up of your host.
EBAA is thrilled to present an online event to hear two strong Women in Dialogue: Congresswoman Barbara Lee of California and Dr. Kimberly Hardy, candidate for North Carolina House District-43, on Sat. June 27 at 12 noon PT.
We are proud that Barbara Lee represents our district. As one of the most progressive voices in Congress, she is a great mentor to promising new political voices.
Congresswoman Lee is helping to ‘build the bench’ for the Democratic Party, and we’re privileged to have her generous support for rising star Kimberly Hardy. At this time of re-thinking the role of police in the community, they also share the profession of social worker.
During Pride Month, we’re especially pleased that Kendra Johnson, Executive Director of Equality NC*, will moderate the event. It is the largest LGBTQ rights advocacy group and political lobbying organization in North Carolina and the oldest statewide LGBTQ equality organization in the U.S. (*Title and organization listed for identification purposes only.)
Let’s all help send Dr. Hardy to the State House in Raleigh! RSVP
We are looking for maximum attendance at this exciting event. Please share this invitation via email, Facebook, etc. (And if you share this invitation, please copy and paste in the link, as hyperlinks seldom forward successfully.)
Please welcome You Can Vote into our circle of giving
Voting should be easy! Using simple, evidence-based methods, YCV develops and trains community leaders to:
• Encourage people to become civically engaged
• Enfranchise NC citizens
• Help empower them to cast their vote.
YCV connects community interests to the ballot. One conversation at a time, You Can Vote volunteers empower and mobilize their community members to become lifelong voters.
• 50% of their registrants are under 25
• 40% are people of color
• 50% live in low-wealth communities.
In every demographic, YCV’s registrants vote in higher numbers than the general NC population.
Community leaders help their neighbors vote every year. Volunteers learn best practices on voter engagement, voter education, and registration to increase civic literacy and help citizens understand North Carolina voting requirements. And they help voters complete or update their applications in compliance with NC Board of Elections legal requirements.
You Can Vote is a 501(c)(3) organization and donations are tax-deductible. We hope you will welcome them to EBAA’s circle of support by giving generously.
Spotlight on Aidan, Phonebank Meister
Growing up in New Hampshire, Aidan Cecchetti was highly influenced by his politically involved parents. Every four years his state was inundated by presidential campaigns and reporters. At a young age, he too was bitten by the bug.
Only 17 during Obama’s first run, even though he couldn’t vote yet, he canvassed, made phone calls, and drove people to the polls on Election Day.
Since graduating from the University of New Hampshire, he’s been in Berkeley for graduate school in Environmental Engineering with a focus on water quality and is wrapping up his PhD this summer.
He completely understands that one person making calls for an hour who only has a few conversations can feel like a drop in the bucket. But Aidan really loves the back end where he gets to see the totals and how everything fits together with the campaign. Monthly, EBAA is making about 4500 calls!
He also understands calling is stressful for some people. But once he started phone banking himself, he found it wasn’t nearly as difficult as he feared, and that people tend to be nicer on the phone than in anonymous online communities.
Together, Aidan and his friend Scott, a fellow PhD student in his program, streamlined the process and smoothly helped us go virtual.
“The campaigns are taking our ideas. We workshop language and now we’re taking a lead role in what phonebanks look like. In some wonderful ways the campaigns are seeing EBAA more as a partner in this process and they value our input,” Aidan told us.
“For Kimberly Hardy’s campaign, we were an unknown quantity. We developed a
sample script and they loved it! It was amazing and unexpected. During one Hardy phonebank, the candidate came onto the call. She was energetic and excited, fun and intelligent. It was so cool to meet her.”
So if you haven’t tried a phonebank – try it! You might like it. And Aidan and Scott are always available to help.
It’s all about phonebanks…
Help reclaim our country by phonebanking! This is especially important in times of COVID when we can’t canvass and meet people in person to build support for Democrats to win in 2020. We also need to get people registered to vote and prepared to vote by mail, and we’re doing this all by phone.
If you’ve been afraid to try phonebanking, but want to volunteer, then look no further.
We've put together a one-hour session on How to Phonebank, complete with demos and training tips.
You don't have to make a single call... but hopefully after this one entertaining hour, you’ll want to.
Masks for Virginia Cox-Daugherty
Our Crafty Resisters from Redwood Heights-EBAA team are sewing facemasks and offering them for a donation to support our North Carolina candidate, Dr. Virginia Cox-Daugherty. The masks are created in beautiful prints, with double layers of preshrunk cotton, and include pockets for an added filter, nose wires for better fit, and side channels that provide the option of ties around the ears or around the head. They have over 100 beautiful masks currently in stock and more on the way. Suggested donation, $10-$15 each.
Options for pick-ups, deliveries, and USPS mailing here.
Please pass this link on to your local friends.
Please come share a Kuppa tea…
Equali-Tea with State Rep. Padma Kuppa and special guests Former MD State Legislator Aruna Miller, MI Asst. AG Sunita Doddamani, CIO FiatChrysler NA and Asia Pacific Mamatha Chamarthi with Host Anu Kosaraju,
Saturday, June 20th 1:00 - 2:00 PM Pacific time. RSVP.
Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home…and please sign up for a phonebank!
Your EBAA Leadership Team
Our phonebanks for the next month – RSVP!
• Mon. June 15, 3:00 - 5:00 PM EBAA: Michigan Mondays with Aidan. RSVP.
• Wed. June 17, 4:00 - 7:00 PM: Winning Wed. & EBAA: Phone, Text, Postcard. RSVP.
• Thurs. June 18, 2:30 - 5:00 PM Virtual Phonebank with Padma Kuppa's campaign (two shifts). RSVP.
• Sat. June 20, 7:00 - 1:30 PM Virtual Phonebank with Padma Kuppa's campaign. RSVP.
• Sat. June 20, 11:00 – 1:00 PM EBAA Virtual Phonebank for North Carolina with Sophia. RSVP.
• Sat. June 20, 1:00 – 4:00 PM EBAA & Indivisible Berkeley for Michigan. RSVP.
• Sun. June 21, 1:00 - 3:00 PM EBAA Virtual Phonebank: Michigan Sundays with Scott Miller. RSVP.
• Sun. June 21, 3-5PM TWW Albany Berkeley & EBAA Voter Registration. RSVP.
• Mon. June 22, 3:00 - 5:00 PM EBAA Virtual Phonebank: Michigan Mondays with Andrea. RSVP.
• Wed. June 24, 4:00 - 7:00 PM Winning Wednesdays & EBAA: Phone, Text, and Postcard. RSVP.
• Thurs. June 25, 2:30 - 5:00 PM Virtual Phonebank with Padma Kuppa's campaign. RSVP.
• Thurs. June 25, 3-5PM TWW Albany Berkeley & EBAA Voter Registration. RSVP.
• Sat. June 27, 7:00 - 1:30 PM Virtual Phonebank with Padma Kuppa's campaign. RSVP.
• Sat. June 27, 11:00 – 1:00 PM EBAA Virtual Phonebank for North Carolina with Sophia. RSVP.
• Sat. June 27, 1:30 - 4:00 PM EBAA 4th Sat Virtual phonebank with Jen. RSVP.
• Sun. June 28, 1:00 - 3:00 PM EBAA Virtual Phonebank: Michigan Sundays with Scott Miller. RSVP.
• Mon. June 29, 3:00 - 5:00 PM EBAA Virtual Phonebank: Michigan Mondays with Andrea. RSVP.
• Wed. July 1, 4:00 - 7:00 PM Winning Wednesdays & EBAA: Phone, Text, and Postcard. RSVP.
• Thurs. July 2, 2:30 - 5:00 PM Virtual Phonebank with Padma Kuppa's campaign. RSVP.
• Sat. July 4, 8:00 - 1:30 PM Virtual Phonebank with Padma Kuppa's campaign (two shifts). RSVP.
• Sun. July 5, 1:00 - 3:00 PM EBAA Virtual Phonebank: Michigan Sundays with Scott Miller. RSVP.
• Mon. July 6, 3:00 - 5:00 PM EBAA Virtual Phonebank: North Carolina with Sophia. RSVP.
• Wed. July 8, 1:30 - 4:00 PM Redwood Heights EBAA Virtual Phonebank. RSVP.
• Wed. July 8, 4:00 - 7:00 PM Winning Wednesdays & EBAA: Phone, Text, and Postcard. RSVP.
• Thurs. July 9, 2:30 - 5:00 PM Virtual Phonebank with Padma Kuppa's campaign. RSVP.
• Sat. July 11, 8:00 - 1:30 PM Virtual Phonebank with Padma Kuppa's campaign (two shifts). RSVP.
• Sun. July 12, 1:00 - 3:00 PM EBAA Virtual Phonebank: Michigan Sundays with Scott Miller. RSVP.
• Sun. July 12, 1:30-4PM TWW Albany Berkeley & EBAA for Absentee Ballots. RSVP.
• Mon. July 13, 3:00 PM 5:00 PM EBAA Virtual Phonebank: Michigan Mondays. RSVP.
• Sun. July 19, 3:00-5:00 PM TWW Albany Berkeley & EBAA for Voter Registration & Absentee Ballots. RSVP.
Congratulations! You have read this far. So here is some extra information. If you’d like to sign up to be a regular at one of these phonebanks, please email us.
· Mondays, 3-5pm: Motown Mondays (switches between our three Michigan candidates)
· Wednesdays, 4-7pm: Winning Wednesdays (focusing on Coral Evans/Felicia French in AZ)
· Thursdays, 2:30-5pm: Kuppa Campaign, MI (hosted by the campaign)
· Saturdays, 8-10:30am: Kuppa Campaign, MI (hosted by the campaign)
· Saturdays, 11am-1pm: Weekly NC Phonebank (currently focused on Kimberly Hardy)
· Sundays, 1-3pm: Michigan Sundays (this event switches between our three Michigan candidates)
· 2nd Wednesday, 1:30-4pm: Phonebank with Sarah Leonard (focused on Julia Pulver, MI)
· 2nd Sunday, 1:30-4pm: Phonebank with Lois Brubeck (Haley Stevens/Michigan absentee)
· 3rd Saturday, 1-4pm: Indivisible Berkeley Phonebank (Pohutsky, MI coordinated campaign)
· 3rd Sunday, 3-5pm: Phonebank with Caryl O'Keefe (Haley Stevens/Michigan absentee)
· 4th Thursday, 3-5pm: Phonebank with Pam Tellew (Haley Stevens/Michigan absentee)
· 4th Saturday, 1:30-4pm: Phonebank with Jen Corn (focused on Julia Pulver, MI)
Follow us on Twitter @EastBayActivist